Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Trip Report from Vagina Country

Trip Report Tuesday is back with an update on my longest-running project. I auditioned for the Vagina Monologues in December, as well you know (Eddie Izzard voice). I didn't try out with any particular part in mind-- my main goal was just to follow through on a spur-of-the-moment impulse. Just to prove to myself that I could do it.

Well, I did it. I sailed through callbacks and was cast. I have two monologues: Hair and Not-So-Happy Fact. For those of you who have seen the show, you know the incredible range of women's experiences it chronicles. I'm lucky to have one of the very funny bits and one of the very sobering bits. When I started out this was a throwaway endeavor, but now that I've committed to participate, I'm very glad to be a part of something so powerful and far-reaching. Also, I get to say the word "vagina" an awful lot.

For those of you who may be interested, the show runs Feb. 19-21 in Gregory Hall on the UIUC campus. Drop a comment for specific dates and times.

I'm already thinking about my next project, but February is going to be rather packed. One of the things I'm considering is a sign language class. There's one which starts in April and for which I can get a pretty awesome discount. I've always wanted to learn sign language.

Opinions? Ideas? Anyone want a project of their own? You know what to do.

Labels:

Posted by Silent Five @ 6:55 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Congrats!

Posted by Blogger Jacob @ 8:44 AM #
 

I need a project, Susan. I feel useless.

Posted by Blogger e.clare @ 8:47 PM #
 
<< Home

Word of the Week

gymnosophy [jim-NAH-so-fee]

n. Philosophical, amusing, or nonsensical insights realized when naked, as in the shower or in bed. (recent coinage: att. S. Galasso, 2010)

Victoria and Albert enjoyed a spot of postprandial concupiscence culminating in a night of gymnosophy and coffee and crumpets at dawn.

The Silent Top Five: Bacon-Flavored Desserts

1) Bacon cheesecake.
2) Bacon gumballs.
3) Bacon ice cream.
4) Bacon-orange bars.
5) Bacon apple pie.

Standard Disclaimer

This is all in no way meant to incur copyright-infringement-related wrath. I'm harmless. I promise. Oh, and if you're offended by anything I may post herein, I guarantee I didn't mean to do so (unless, of course, you are a humorless prig. In which case, go right on and be offended, with my blessings.)