Saturday, May 15, 2010

Unsurprisingly, My America Playlist Is Not Patriotic At All

Some of the best discoveries are accidents. Chocolate chip cookies, for example, and microwaves, and penicillin. My accidental discovery for the day is the random search term playlist. Looking for a particular track, I typed "america" into my media player and listened through whatever it gave me. This created a surprisingly listenable mix of tribal flute music, classics, punk, and indie pop, with the Allen Ginsberg poem I was looking for as a nice cap to it all. It also, perhaps, says a good deal about my political leanings that most of what turned up was at least vaguely protest-oriented. Here's the list, for your listening pleasure. Please post your own random search discoveries here-- I'm always on the lookout for new music.

  1. "Flightless Bird, American Mouth"-- Iron & Wine
  2. "We'll Meet Again" -- Johnny Cash
  3. "Dance of the Warrior" -- off a compilation CD of tribal music
  4. "Sick Boy" -- Kill Hannah
  5. "Franco Un-American" -- NOFX
  6. "Drug-Free America" -- NOFX
  7. "American Errorist (I Hate Hate Haters)" -- NOFX
  8. "Kiss Distinctly American" -- Q and not U
  9. "America" -- Simon & Garfunkel
  10. "Because" -- Elliott Smith
  11. "Miss America" -- That Handsome Devil
  12. "Winds of Life" -- off a compilation CD of tribal music
  13. "American Music" -- Violent Femmes
  14. "America (Closing Time)" -- Tom Waits & Allen Ginsberg

Posted by Silent Five @ 7:41 PM

Word of the Week

gymnosophy [jim-NAH-so-fee]

n. Philosophical, amusing, or nonsensical insights realized when naked, as in the shower or in bed. (recent coinage: att. S. Galasso, 2010)

Victoria and Albert enjoyed a spot of postprandial concupiscence culminating in a night of gymnosophy and coffee and crumpets at dawn.

The Silent Top Five: Bacon-Flavored Desserts

1) Bacon cheesecake.
2) Bacon gumballs.
3) Bacon ice cream.
4) Bacon-orange bars.
5) Bacon apple pie.

Standard Disclaimer

This is all in no way meant to incur copyright-infringement-related wrath. I'm harmless. I promise. Oh, and if you're offended by anything I may post herein, I guarantee I didn't mean to do so (unless, of course, you are a humorless prig. In which case, go right on and be offended, with my blessings.)