Saturday, November 06, 2010

Question Time: What If You Had A Ridiculous Amount of Money?

We're not big on rampant capitalist greed here at Figure Five, to say the least. Having money is one of those things I generally assume happens to other people, and for the most part that doesn't bother me. I am confident in my ability to make enough to support myself, if not extravagantly, at least not over-frugally. I've been fortunate never to have been proven wrong in this. Tonight's question, though, is this: Suppose you had a ridiculous amount of money. What would you do with it?

Let me define "ridiculous" here. I'm not talking about win-the-lottery money. If I won the lottery I'd pay off my student loans and go back to school and make some smart investments and start a fund for my friends who need medical care and generally do reasonable, ethical things. I'm considering "ridiculous" to be "money enough that after you've done all the reasonable, ethical things you can do, you still have money left over." Assume the hungry are fed, the homeless are housed, sustainable infrastructure is put in place, essential scientific research is comfortably set up, and you still have more money than you know what to do with. What is the most frivolous thing you can enjoy doing?

My list goes a little something like this:

...I'm running out of things. Most of the self-indulgent, fun stuff I would do boils down to traveling to interesting places, eating tasty food, and building or crafting cool things. I'm sure some of you are more imaginative. What would you do?

Posted by Silent Five @ 11:30 PM

Word of the Week

gymnosophy [jim-NAH-so-fee]

n. Philosophical, amusing, or nonsensical insights realized when naked, as in the shower or in bed. (recent coinage: att. S. Galasso, 2010)

Victoria and Albert enjoyed a spot of postprandial concupiscence culminating in a night of gymnosophy and coffee and crumpets at dawn.

The Silent Top Five: Bacon-Flavored Desserts

1) Bacon cheesecake.
2) Bacon gumballs.
3) Bacon ice cream.
4) Bacon-orange bars.
5) Bacon apple pie.

Standard Disclaimer

This is all in no way meant to incur copyright-infringement-related wrath. I'm harmless. I promise. Oh, and if you're offended by anything I may post herein, I guarantee I didn't mean to do so (unless, of course, you are a humorless prig. In which case, go right on and be offended, with my blessings.)